The care or follow-up after the surgery is as important as the surgery itself. A lot of patients are given verbal instructions by their dentists and sometimes due to communication gaps all the instructions may not be followed. This may lead to delayed or painful healing and rarely failures. This has inspired us to list a set of instructions which is to be followed after dental implant procedures. In addition to these, sometimes there can be a few more instructions which are case specific and one should request the concerned specialist to explain them clearly.
At INDIADENS, all the patients are given instructions in verbal as well as printed/digital format. This makes sure that the patient can refer to them as and when required. The telephonic follow-up and support is also provided. It is regarded as one of the best dental clinics for dental implants in Delhi and related procedures. It is also a referral centre for complex dental implant surgeries and full mouth implant reconstructions. Dr Ujjwal Gulati, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon and Implantologist in Delhi, is renowned for management of such advanced and complex dental implant surgeries.
First 24 hours after implant surgery:
- Continuously bite on the gauze for 30-45 minutes. Do not remove gauze to check for bleeding as it may dislodge the preliminary clot and lead to bleeding.
- Remove the pack and have a cup of ice cream (or any other suitable cold and soft eatable like yogurt/custard etc.)
- Follow it with your first dose of medication.
- If bleeding continues, inform your doctor. In the meantime, bite on a moistened black tea bag for thirty minutes. Please take the medicine for bleeding (if prescribed)
- Apply an ice pack to the side of the face where surgery was performed. Apply it for 10 minutes (on and off periods of 10-15 seconds), 5-7 times a day, for the next 24-36 hours after your surgery.
- Elevate your head while sleeping for the first 48 hrs to help minimize swelling in case of sinus grafting.
- Please take medication as directed by the doctor and contact us in case of any emergency.
- Do not spit or rinse your mouth.
- Do not consume hot/hard/spicy food and tobacco/tobacco products/alcohol.
- Do not bite on the lip or tongue till the anesthesia completely wears off.
- Do not apply hot packs.
- Avoid any physical exercise.
- In cases of sinus lift or bone grafting along with the dental implant, do not blow your nose (in or out) for two weeks after the surgery.
After 24 hours of Implant Surgery
- Start with warm saline rinses 5-7 times a day after 24-36 hours of surgery.
- Do not restrict your mouth opening in anticipation of pain. Some amount of soreness is expected but report to the doctor in case of pain or restriction in mouth opening.
- Avoid excessively hot/spicy/hard food for 3-5 days depending upon your recovery.
- Resume regular tooth brushing but avoid disturbing the implant or bone graft sites. After 4 weeks of surgery, you can gently start cleaning the implant/implant abutments/bone graft sites with an ultra-soft toothbrush.
- Take your medicines as prescribed and report to the clinic/doctor in case of any emergency.
- Please get your stitches removed (if indicated) in time as advised by the doctor.
- Kindly respect your follow-up appointment.